This lecture discusses the use of antipsychotics in the management of bipolar disorder. It is divided in three short parts, each less than 4 minutes.
- Pharmacotherapy of acute mania
- Antipsychotics for mania
- Treatment with first generation antipsychotics
- FDA approved second generation antipsychotics for acute mania/ mixed symptoms
- The role of SGAs in the treatment of manic/mixed episodes
- Bipolar depression
- FDA approved SGAs for maintenance treatment
- Maintenance treatment: advantages and disadvantages of SGAs
References and further reading
Frye MA. Clinical practice. Bipolar disorder–a focus on depression. N Engl J Med. 2011;364(1):51-9.
Schatzberg, AF., Cole, JO, and DeBattista, C. Manual of Clinical Psychopharmacology. 7th ed.American Psychiatric Publishing, 2010.
Janicak, P G., S R. Marder, and M N. Pavuluri. Principles and Practice of Psychopharmacotherapy. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2010.