Mark Wallace, M.D., Director of UCSD’s Center for Pain & Palliative Medicine, updates on current therapies for pain, focusing on neuropathic pain. Dr. Wallace overviews both pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic management of chronic pain.
- FDA-approved drugs for the treatment of neuropathic pain.
- Pregabalin (EMEA did not approve it for fibromyalgia).
- Duloxetine (read about its mechanism of action in pain).
- Lidocaine patch 5% (FDA warned about its potential side effects).
- Principles of opiod therapy (see related PowerPoint presentations on opioids).
- Mu opioid receptor polymorphisms.
- Epidural steroid injections rationale, safety and complications.
- Celiac plexus block.
- Spinal drug delivery.
- Neurostimulation delivery.