The Genetic Science Learning Center at University of Utah developed an excellent animation depicting the mechanisms of addiction of most drugs of abuse. They use a cartoon-like approach to show molecular changes in mouse brains.
They approach the following topics related to the neurobiology of drug addiction.
- Methamphetamine actions on dopamine vesicles.
- LSD action on serotonin receptors.
- Heroin effects on opioid receptors .
- How marijuana interacts with the cannabinoid system and its receptors.
- Activation of the GABA-A ionotropic receptor by alcohol.
- Cocaine action on dopamine reuptake.
This blog has a related post that explains nicotine addiction mechanism through a 3-D video animation.