This PDF file on the pharmacological management of hypertension was written by the Pharmacology OpenCourseWare initiative at Harvard Medical School – MIT.
Hypertension: Pharmacological management
Lecture notes outline:
- Rational pharmacotherapy of hypertension
- Major Antihypertensive Drug Classes
- Diuretics (thiazide, loop, and potassium-sparing diuretics).
- Beta adrenergic blockers
- Alpha-1 adrenergic blockers
- Central sympatholytics
- Vasodilators (calcium-channel blockers, direct arterial vasodilators, and sodium nitroprusside).
- Renin-angiotensin system (RAS) blockers
- Have certain drugs been shown to reduce the morbidity and mortality due to hypertension?
- What is the best initial therapy for the newly diagnosed hypertensive patient?